I wanted my first post to be out the basis of parenting and that is relationships.  The Arbinger Company put a model called  the Parenting Pyramid that really helps parents to see where they are and what they need to work on when handling a child.  Below is the Pyramid. 


page6image1330277424 page6image1330277776 page6image1330278064 page6image1330278416
The Arbinger Company summarizes the pyramid perfectly they said. 
  1. Although correction is a part of parenthood IT IS THE SMALLEST PART.
  2. The key to effective correction is effectiveteaching.
  3. The key to effective teaching is a good parent/child relationship.
  4. The key to a good parent/child relationship is a good husband/wife relationship.
  5. The key to a good husband/wife relationship is our personal way of being. Indeed, this quality affects every other aspect of the pyramid; that is why it is the deepest foundation.

They also said that "the solution to a problem in one part of the pyramid lies below that part of the pyramid."   They also emphasized that correction is the smallest part of the pyramid and when correction is needed when someone is in danger, it should be swift and precise. I also liked how the solution to most problems in the pyramid was to build a better relationship with the child rather than correct his behavior. This was so useful to me and I hope that I will always utilize and remember this Parenting Pyramid. When building a relationship with your child obviously it begins when they are young and that will sustain you as the child grows. 

Comments